Power cables are generally made from low density polyethylene. This is a thermoplastic material which consists of long chain of hydrocarbons. Power cables as the name suggests are generally used for transmitting electricity. The power cables can be used both as overhead and underground connecting medium. There are primarily two kinds of power cables, namely
- Fixed- The flexible power cables are used in portable devices, as mobile tools and in small machineries.
- Flexible-The fixed power cables are used for permanent installation purposes within buildings, are buried underground and are exposed as overhead electricity transmission medium.
Power cable manufacturers also make special cables like
- Power cables which can be used for mining purposes- These power cables are specially manufactured to provide extra mechanical strength and comes with double armoring.
- Power cables to be used at wind mills- These cables are flexible and special layer to be protected against ultra violet rays. There is a tough mechanical sheath over the power cables to serve the purpose.
- Power cables for underground use- These power cables are capable to withstand aggressive working environments. The underground environment is extremely humid and hence anti-corrosive power cables are best to be used.
We also have
- PVC Power Cables – These power cables are used at houses, offices and as a part of communication systems. These cables are made from PVC and copper; are high on current and short circuit rating; overload capacity; light weight; easy to join and terminate.
- XLPE Power Cables – These cables are installed both underground and as overhead connectors. These cables have minimal dielectric losses and are fire retardant.
Overall, all power cables provided by the best power cable manufacturers are
- Resistant to damage caused by storms or lightning- Being used as overhead cables, these cables are highly retardant to such aggressive natural disasters.
- Resistance to sudden increase or decrease in power/voltage- The power cables are able to carry short circuit current along with being capable of carrying sustained current. During a short circuit there is a sudden rush of extremely high voltage and then there is a steady flow of standard voltage; best power cables can resist such fluctuations.
- There are less chances of faults- Top Indian power cable manufacturers ensure that they provide the best power cables which are safe for use and are error free.
- Are cost effective-Power cables are less prone to wear and tear, reducing the overall maintenance cost. These can operate for a long span of time and hence are durable.
A power cable consists of the following parts-
- Bedding- It binds the insulated conductors within a multicore power cable.
- Insulation- PVC, XLPE and rubber are used to insulate the power cables from electricity.
- Conductor- This is the power carrying path in a power cable.
- Outer sheath- This part is made from PVC or rubber which can safeguard the power cables from mechanical stress, harsh chemicals and extreme temperatures.
- Beading/ Armoring- This is a special sheath which helps the power cables withstand mechanical pressure and can also be used for earthing purpose. The beading is done by metals like aluminum, tinned copper wire, nylon and cotton braid.
So why wait? Get the best from the premium power cable manufacturers and ensure a safe and efficient working environment to your employees or a secure home to your loved ones.