Administrative management is the art of managing any information through a group of people. There are many roles within a business which requires some elements of Administrative management. We all know, in the classical school we consider both Administrative management and Classic management. The people contributed to the school of administrative management are,
- Henri Fayol (Considered as the father of Administrative Management)
- Mary Parker Follet
- Chester Bernard
- Max Weber
While scientific management mainly focuses on shop floor level on productivity whereas administrative management concentrates mostly on the management processes and principles of the entire organizations, and it also views the administration from top of the management point of view.
Henry Fayol was French mining engineer and is considered as the father of Administrative management. He always looked at the problems of managing an organization as said earlier from the top management’s point of view. He always used the term ‘Administration’ instead of ‘Management’ in his studies. Now, Fayol found that activities of an industrial organizations can be studies and divided into six different groups namely,
- Technical activities which was mainly related to the production
- Commercial activities was related with buying, selling and exchange of commodities.
- Financial activities was the search for any capital and how to use it optimally.
- Security activities were related with the protection of properties and self-protection.
- Accounting activities involved statistics of the company’s performance.
- Managerial activities was mainly based on planning. Organising, commanding, controlling and coordinating.
If we observe, these all six activities are being performed in an industry or a company whether it’s a small scale or a large scale and he said that all these activities do exist in businesses of every size. Fayol approach towards the management can be studied in three parts such as,
Managerial qualities and training
Fayol was the first person among all to identify the required class in a manager. According to him, the needed manager should have these six qualities, Physical, mental, moral, educational, technical. Experience. For him, the most important thing was, a manager should be a professional person.
General principles of management
Fayol emphasized mainly on two things. First was the list of management principles is not exhausted it means that is not the only list of principles, many principles can be added and subtracted from it. Second is the principles of management are flexible can be changed and cannot be rigid.
The Elements of management.
He talked about the five functions or the elements which should be viewed in management were,
- Planning (forecasting the events)
- Organizing (man, machine, material)
- Commanding (through two-way communication)
- Coordinating (arranging and integrating group)
- Controlling (ensure a plan)
There are many such highly qualified professional Administrative managers having this much extensive knowledge and world-class experience. These managers oversee the support operations of an organization. They are detail oriented and well-organized with having good analytical skills to manage the day to day operations smoothly. Some well-known names are Atif Jaffrey, Saurabh Rakheja, Larry Weltman, Richard Will, etc.