There is no scientific cure for the usual cold. But there are a lot of remedies that claim to give relief from cold faster?
Well, some remedies may assist in relieving you from the symptoms of cold and some which only claims to do so but does not work. To help you choose the right remedy for relieving cold here, we have created two different lists of remedies that work and remedies that do not work.
Cold remedies that work
You are sure to be sick for at least two days when you catch a cold. That does not mean you have no choice be to suffer. Besides taking appropriate rest, you can follow this remedy, which helps in relieving cold symptoms considerably.
- Stay hydrated. One of the best things that you can do while going through cold is keeping your body completely hydrated. For hydrating your body you can consume juice, water, warm lemon water with honey or clear broth. You should avoid coffee, alcohol and caffeinated sodas.
- Take a break. Rest is the key for recovery from almost every health issue and the same goes for gold.
- Gargle. Dissolve half tablespoon salt in a glass of warm water and gargle, this can relieve you from scratchy and sore throat.
- Fight stuffiness. Your regular nasal sprays and drops can assist you in reducing congestion and stuffiness. For younger kids, you can use several drops of nasal sprays and then gently buckle the nostril with syringe bulb. A blocked nose is one of the most irritating things during cold.
- Sip lukewarm fluids. This is the cold remedy that is well known in different cultures across the world. For this, you can drink warm apple juice, chicken soup. This will help in relieving you from congestion by enhancing the mucus flow.
Cold remedies that do not work
Here is a list of some cold remedies that do not work. Some of the most common cold remedies that are not effective include:
- Antibiotics. Antibiotics are great in fighting off bacteria, but they are of no help when it comes to fighting cold viruses. Do not take any antibiotics during cold because it can cause serious issues of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. You can easily get a great discount on medicine online using 1Mg Coupons.
- Your usual cold medicines in medical stores. Cold and cough medicines can cause life-threatening effects on kids. You should only use them under the prescription of a certified doctor.
Cold remedies with conflicting evidence
Here is our list of some common alternative cold remedies with conflicting reviews:
- Vitamin C. According to a lot of studies, it was made clear that taking vitamin C will not help an average person to cure and avoid cold. However, if you consume Vitamin C before the starting of cold symptoms, then it might help you reduce the duration of your cold. Vitamin C is helpful for the people who are in constant exposure to cold viruses. Kids during the winter can benefit from vitamin C.
- Echinacea. Study results on the effects of Echinacea are mixed; some studies claim that it does work in preventing or shortening colds and says otherwise. It is possible the different types of Echinacea utilized for the study may be the reason why there are such conflicting results in every study.
Echinacea is said to be most effective if you take it when you start noticing symptoms of cold and continue its consumption for at least ten days. It seems safe for adults, but it can have several drug interactions. You should always consult with your doctor before you start taking Echinacea. Moreover, if you are looking for SBI careers then it could be the best chance to try it
- Zinc. Ever since the reveal of study back in 1984, in which it was mentioned that zinc could help people to prevent sickness, people start saying that it also helps in the cold. After that, a lot of researches was conducted, and all of them showed mixed results about cold and Zinc.
Several studies claim that Zink syrup or lozenges lessen the length of a cold by a day if you consume it within 24 hours after noticing any symptoms of a cold. Zinc can also have some potential side effects; so make sure you consult your doctor before using it.
So these are all of the popular remedies and their reviews by us. If you are experiencing any symptoms of cold feel free to use the ones we have listed under our proven working list.